1. The general properties of the wave are as follows:
(1) can not propagate in a vacuum
(2) moving straight in a different medium
(3) experiencing reflection
(4) experiencing diffraction
(5) experience interference
From the above wave properties, which correspond to the characteristics of light waves are…
(1) A light wave is an electromagnetic wave that does not require a propagation medium. Because it does not require a propagation medium, electromagnetic waves can propagate in a vacuum.
(2) When light waves traveling in a medium enter a new medium, light waves are refracted. Refraction is the direction of light wave propagation. Refraction occurs because of differences in the speed of light waves in each different medium.
(3) In addition to being refracted, light waves are also reflected. Reflection of light by a flat mirror is one example of light reflection
(4) Diffraction is not only experienced by electromagnetic waves like light waves but is also experienced by mechanical waves such as water waves and sound waves.
(5) In addition to being experienced by electromagnetic waves such as light waves, interference is experienced also by mechanical waves such as water waves, rope waves or sound waves.
2. Note the following wave properties!
(1) experiencing diffraction
(2) experiencing reflection
(3) can not propagate in a vacuum
(4) may experience polarization
(5) moving straight when passing through two different mediums
From the above wave properties that correspond to the characteristics of sound waves are…
(1) Diffraction is not only experienced by electromagnetic waves such as light waves, but also by mechanical waves like sound waves.
(2) Reflection or reflection is experienced by electromagnetic waves such as light waves and mechanical waves such as sound waves or water waves. An example of a reflection event of sound waves is an echo.
(3) Sound waves are mechanical waves. Mechanical waves are waves that require a propagation medium in order to propagate. If there is no such medium in a vacuum then the sound waves can not propagate.
(4) Polarization is experienced by transverse waves such as rope waves, surface waves and electromagnetic waves such as light waves. Sound waves are longitudinal waves and therefore can not experience polarization.
(5) When traveling from a medium to a different medium, sound waves refract or split the direction of propagation. Refraction occurs when the waves begin to enter a different medium.
3. Note the following statement!
(1) can be reflected
(2) can be reflected
(3) can be polarized
(4) requires medium
(5) a longitudinal wave
The characteristic of light waves are …
A. (1), (2), and (3)
B. (1), (3), and (4)
C. (1), (4), and (5)
D. (2), (3, and (4)
E. (3), (4), and (5)
Light waves include electromagnetic waves that propagate without a medium and a transverse waves.